Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hunter's Heartache...

So it's Tuesday night and Hunter has both baseball practice and the first open gym for the basketball team at the high school...he chooses to go to basketball. After all he has been working for months on his dunk and is feeling pretty good about it.

Fast forward a few hours...Jackson comes running into my bedroom saying "mom... mom I think Hunter broke his knee" I laugh..."Jackson he broke his knee?" Not really thinking Hunter's knee was broken....

I walk down to a Hunter who is in tears because he knows there is something really really wrong with his knee.
Turns out he has completely torn his ACL like all the way apart...not just a little...all the way torn so it is now in a ball in his knee.

All we have been doing is going to A LOT of Doctors...trying to decide who is the very best....which surgery we will have because there are 2 to choose from.

As a parent to watch your kids go through this kind of heartache is so awful. I can't sleep at night. Hunter has worked soooooooo hard to get where he has gotten in High School sports. So hard. He is a valuable part of his Football team and his Basketball team. He now can't play Football for this upcoming season of his Junior year...breaks my heart. Breaks his heart. He will hate sitting on the bench not being able to play.
We are crossing our fingers and toes...and our legs that his leg will be strong enough to still be able to be on the team for basketball.

He will have surgery in a couple of weeks and then months of rehab....
Sometimes life just feels so unfair.
We are grateful it's not worse...we know a lot of people are dealing with much worse than a torn ACL but in our world...in Hunter's 16 year old world...it's pretty bad.
We are also grateful it isn't his Senior year. We know with his determination he will be back 110 percent by then.


4 comments:

Nichole Barney said...

That is so heart breaking! I feel so bad for him! Good luck with the surgery!

ej said...

It really is heart breaking! I feel so bad for him.
I don't know if you've decided yet which surgery to do yet, but I know Rosie Bell has (probably too much) experience in the area and might be good to bounce ideas off of???
I hope everything goes well and Hunter isn't out of things too long.
That last pic. was pretty cool, though...

Summer said...

Jess - I feel sick every time I think about Hunter. So terrible. I hope he's doing ok.

The Dimond Family said...

I love your family. I love your blog. That pic of Hunter is amazing! He'll be back there in no time, but higher.